Serves 4 | Prep 10mins | Cooking 40mins
A wonderfully complex and rich sauce, this wholesome meal is a healthier alternative to its beef counterpart. Recipe from British Game Assurance.
4 x tbsp Olive oil
2 Medium onions, finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
500g Minced venison
300ml Red wine or port
1 tsp Dried oregano
2 tbsp Tomato purée
10g Beef stock cube, crumbled
300ml Game stock or chicken stock
400g Chopped tomatoes
2 tsp Cornflour, mixed with 4 tbsp cold water
500g Pasta, cooked
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes until starting to brown.
- Add the mince and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook over a high heat for a few minutes, stirring well, until all the moisture has evaporated and the meat is browned.
- Then add the red wine or port and simmer until it has reduced by about a third
- Put in the oregano, tomato purée, beef stock cube, stock, tomatoes and their juice and simmer gently for 35-40 minutes.
- Stir in the cornflour mixture and cook until slightly thickened, then season to taste
- Spoon over the warm pappardelle to serve. For an extra kick sprinkle chili flakes on top.